Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Who Killed Tony Turnip?

Let's Inquire: Inquiry Lab Reflection
 
 
This is hands down one of my favorite types of teaching styles. It truly helps me push myself to make sure that learning is occuring for the students. During National Convention I was accepted in the Pre-Service Teachers workshop and we discussed effective ways of executing this teaching method. I was very happy to be able to do one of our lessons we were taught into the lab.
In Lab I assigned them "Who killed Tony Turnip?". This assigment gave the students a scenario in which they had to dissect two flowers use dichotomous key on plant identification to solve Tony Turnip's murder. I did something similar to this in the workshop that I attended and really enjoyed it. My students enjoyed it and questions were kept to a minimum, which in fact was really nice. However when we got to the end were they were decideding on which flower was used to kill him they got a bit confused. What should of happened was only one flower should have been on the key to exclude the other flower out, however since they were both on there it was difficult fo the students to comprehend what to do in that situation.
The students were good sports until a little confusion got in their way then it went downhill, almost like they gave up. I realized through this that I need to make sure to go over all of my materials before I give them to the students to prevent this from happening in the future. Also my questioning for the students needs to be worked on. when I say questioning I mean guiding them where you want them to go, so they can achieve success. Also it helps the student understand what they are suppose to learn wihtout help from a teacher.
Overall I believe that this lab was a great one with lots of information for the studetns benefit. Especially with all the new ideas from my peer's lab and I will definitely be utilzing inquiry-based instruction in my future classroom. I like how this instructions is geared fort the students to learn and do it by themselves. This helps the students develop themselves in a great way and portray independence.There are definitely areas in which I could improve as an educator,so I can better use and understand this type of instruction.  


No comments:

Post a Comment