Sunday, February 8, 2015

Week 4: Time To Buckle Down!

Week Four Recap:

What a week?! My students never seem to stop amazing me. I learn something new from them everyday. We only had one delay and then clubs schedule on Wednesday that again delayed some time spent in the classroom. I am finally moving forward with my period 3 students. We identified ten trees common to Pa at the beginning of the week and ended it with all of my students saying the FFA Creed completely. My seniors are working their way through the presentations on different aspects of global agriculture. 
With my week and workload increasing, I am starting to see what hard work and pre-planning pay off. One major problem I kept encountering is writing my first sub plan. I know that to most it may be the easiest thing, but I had to make a plan for two classes and I kept encountering issues of whether or not the sub would reiterate the concept to the students so they understood too. I had to create sub plans for Friday because Mrs. Jarema and I went go to participate in the record book contest in State College. Which was an adventure in itself. 
My global agriculture kids started the week out with working on and fishing their presentations. They began to presentations on Wednesday of this week. I am having issues with some of my student's and the quality of work they present to me. I hold my students at a high standard, not because I want to show them they are not as smart but because they can do it. They have the potential for greatness, but I am unsure how I can show them that. I feel that these kids have the potential but they are put forth that effort. I know they are seniors and all they are worried about is getting out of there, but how do I ignite the motivation spark to get the to give there best? I guess that will have to be one of my goals this week as I continue to teach them about global agriculture. 
On the other hand my Ag Environmental Awareness class is going pretty well.  I am so lucky to be able to experience the support from this class. We had a rough start in the beginning of the week because the students are not really enjoying having to know different tree species, but by the end of the week I had them excited to do the speed dating activity we will be beginning with on Monday. One part of this class that made me realize just how much I love teaching, is when my students all came together to learn the Creed so they would not have to take a pop quiz. They way they rooted each other on and should the support just melted my heart. I cannot wait to see what this next week brings me and the students in this class.
I did end my week on a new experience and knowledge gained note. I was able to participate in the state record book contest held in state college. I cannot believe the fun and new knowledge that I have accumulated by grading record books. Even though it is a long and tedious process I really enjoyed making the connections with other Ag teachers across the state, and seeing what it takes to have a good record book. 
With another week in the books I am learning and improving my teaching and student relationships. I will be picking up another class: Ag Mechanics II within the next week so I am excited to see what these students bring to the table. They are finishing up electrical and will be moving forward to welding. I hope to continue to improve with my teaching and assignments. Mrs. Jarema is definitely helping me by providing feedback and any suggestions to make a lesson stronger.

2 comments:

  1. Rea,

    It was good seeing you on Thursday.

    Be sure to read over your blogs carefully. See the change that needs to be made in paragraph 3 from "Fishing" to Finishing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rea,
    I now have a better idea who Rea is thanks to record book contest! I will bring you some ginger when I visit - HaHa. As Dr. Foster suggests, please read your blog as there are several grammar errors - I know what you mean, but it is not what you said! Since my keyboarding is terrible, even worse on the phone, I can relate.

    Glad that the environmental class is going well. These type classes were always my favorite and I think I got the best response from these students. Seniors - my statement to freshman parents was, " The good news is they grow up, the bad news is they become seniors" Think back to your senior year and since. Bet you, as I, were not always the model student. Just part of the challenge of being a teacher. You have to be extra creative to reach seniors. It is easier when you have had them for 3 or 4 years because you know them on an individual basis and know how to reach them.

    Looking forward to seeing you 'in action' this week.
    Ron Frederick

    ReplyDelete