Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 11: Where Is The Time GOING?!

 Week 11: So Much To Do, Such Little Time

Oh My Lanta! This week flew by so fast. It was another busy week for me. Being out for two days and only staying at my host family's for one day, definitely made me feel like a gypsy. Even though I wasn't there for two out of the five days, I definitely had a better week then the last one. Even with the marking period ending and adding in yet another class I made it through. My Students made progress in every class and they really showed me that I could trust them with being out and getting their work down. I also realized that planning ahead definitely makes things go easier.
Animal science did well with the assignments I left and assigned them. When I was there we were able to finally get through the rest of the minerals section. They took a test to make sure they were obtaining the information and sure enough they did very well. We also began to talk about digestion. On Friday I left them a packet from the text book to read about digestion with different animals so we shall see how that goes on Monday and if they read it or not.
In Ag Environmental Awareness, we are still left with uncertainty of cooperatives and how they play a huge role in the Agricultural Industry. Since we are using our vegetable plants as a cooperative so they can get firsthand experience in one, they nominated a manager and co-manager. So next week we can vote and see what the outcome is. Overall though this class enjoys planting and really being able to get their hands dirty. Lets hope this sticks for we still have another week of planting and many weeks to come of transplanting. I am happy to say that I have some very dedicated students who come down eleventh period to help set up of the next day, make sure plants are sufficient enough with water, and to plant if not all planting occurs. They are great! Hopefully we see some growing numbers of plants!
When I micro taught last semester I was teaching small gas engines. This was great because I knew I would be teaching this unit when I student taught. So I am re-using the lessons I taught during micro teaching. I am having my students get into five groups and explaining one cycle of a four stroke engine. The fifth group and explaining the process of cooling and lubrication. I am then going to have them teach to the class what each cycle does instead of me always teaching. However I know I will have to step in to really get the class to understand the concept.
Oh boy have I seen a change in my Ag Mechanics II classes. I feel that they finally are understanding that I am not going to take the pushing my buttons. For that we have been in the shop and they come and ask me questions. Right now they are practicing ARC MIG and Oxy- Cutting to see where they are at and what they need to practice. Hopefully by the end of the next week they can get started working on their boot scraper. I should also add that they know before they can go down to the shop they must hand in their cell phones or else they cannot go down. I am however still having issues with a few of my students not wearing proper PPE. So I just make them do bookwork at one of the shop tables. I am hoping that they get tired of that and take it seriously that they can't be in the shop with shorts and sandals!
I picked up a Plant Science class that I am teaching floral design in. It is actually quite interesting to see the gender dynamics because there are only three girls and the rest are guys. They are a bit rowdy and since this is a short unit it is hard to really get their attention but I am going to continue to try. Hopefully we see some great arrangements.
Sebastian planting some Herbs

Matty and Ryan from Small Gas Engines

Planting Some Veggies


1 comment:

  1. So handing in the cell phones is working - great. Dealing with student technology is always an issue, complicated by inconsistent enforcement of school rules.

    Greenhouse work can always be fun until the students are finally tired of planting, transplanting and watering. But they know what running a commercial greenhouse is really like.

    ReplyDelete