Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 8: A Short but Sweet Week

Week 8: Time is Truly of the Essence

One major lesson that I took away from this week is that time is truly of the essence. I believe that is why everyone stresses on time management and being flexible. These two skills definitely go hand in hand because you need them both in this profession. For example the week started of strong with full-timed days and when Wednesday came along, it came with a vengeance because we had the rest of the week off. During these days off I was able to get papers graded and work on some assignments.  However I got overwhelmed with the thought of my classes all being behind, when I finally thought were we getting caught up. Overall with the two and a half short days my Ag Enviro class finally completed the forestry unit and Ag mechanics finished Arc welding safety and procedures. I picked up an animal science class and only got to spend one day with them before the week came to an unexpected halt. My mechanics sections are still testing me and somedays pushing me to the max but all in all this is part of the learning experience.
I thought in the beginning that this experience would be a breeze, not with the work portion but teaching portion. It seemed like my kiddos would be easy to teach, and I am telling you that I am finding that to be false. Not saying my students are "bad" but they do test my limits. In some classes it is clear of what I expect from them and what is to be done each day, but in my Ag Mechanics class they seem to constantly test me. They think they know everything there is but really they haven't shown me that they do. They want to be in the shop and I want them in the shop but I am unsure they are ready to be in the shop and therefore I will not let them go down until they can prove to me what they know about the machines and safety.
My Ag Environmental Awareness class finally finished up their forestry exam and might thank the good Lord because I thought we would never get through this unit. I definitely learned not to assign so many trees for the students to identify. I also need to continue to check in with them to see if they are understanding content more than I did. I feel that some students didn't grasp the concept as well as I would of liked them too, but you live, learn, and teach.
I picked up another class this week. Animal science period 1 was the class and only got to spend one day with them. This class will not be easy for me, because the kids just sit there and do not want to participate, and some of the girls are very catty and think they can give me attitude. I am still new to them so its definitely going to take time and work to see improvement with these students. I have quite a few students who want to work with animals when they get out of high school and college that this class will be good for them to test their knowledge and provide them with new skills and information for this career pathway.
Overall the week was short but sweet and I seem to re-evaluate where I am going with certain units and the classes. As well as improving myself and revamping my end goals. I know that I have struggled with the many skills that you need for this profession and I hope to achieve and improve on those skills so I can become an overall better agricultural educator. We will see what this next week has to bring, hopefully no cancellations!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rea. Better late than never with my comments. Two day weeks are a time to recharge and catch up. Do NOT worry about where you are with classes. Mrs. J will teach the units you do not - in June on make-up days. So you planned to teach something and because of the weather you will not be able to teach it - oh well - it was not meant to be. Just be glad PSU does not hold you to a number of days student teaching.

    When ever you get a new class they will test you - its the nature of students. If you had student teachers, you did the same! I know I did. So do your best, learn what you have learned so far and in theory classes. They will respond.

    ReplyDelete