Friday, January 23, 2015

Week 2: Lets Get Started!

                                                            Week Two: In the Books!

I cannot believe that week two has already flown by! It still seems unreal like I am not in my second week of my student teaching internship, but I am and could NOT be happier. This week was my first week of actual teaching in the classroom. This week of course had positive and negatives and definitely had tested my patience, but this week was very beneficial in teaching me to be flexible. I also had my first experience of what an inservice day consisted of, rather than sleeping in and watching movies all day. 
Monday: We had an inservice day, one of my firsts as a beginning teacher. I had no clue what to expect. Here at Bermudian Springs they have all of the staff from elementary and middle school come up to the high school to take part in one large meeting before being dispersing to different workshops. On Mrs. Jarema's and my schedule we had the following professional development workshops to take part in: Appalachia: "Remote Access and More", Managing Stress and Physical Wellness through Aerobic Exercise, The Hidden Gems of Google, and Creating Your Own Website. I gained a lot of new found knowledge through these workshops, however in some the information did not pertain to me. For example Appalachia "Remote Access and More" was a workshop developed by the Tech Department at the school explaining the new system they are going too for teachers to be able to access the school network from home. Its really cool to see where they are going to take this new system to make it "easier" for teachers to put in grades and whatnot. Overall my favorite workshop we went too was The Hidden Gems of Google. This was the most beneficial to me because of all the information that it provided. Google is becoming huge in the education world, especially when students are researching information for school projects and papers. This workshop gave us info on how to search and refine our search to find exactly what we want to know. It then went into the different apps we are able access powered through google. Overall it was a great experience to see what an inservice day may look like in  my future. 
Tuesday: The first day I begin to teach.  I am teaching Ag Environmental Awareness with 9th graders. This class is a blast! I introduced them to forestry and identifying the internal and external parts of a tree. By doing this lesson I was able to get a feel of what the students knew about trees in general, which is slim. The best advice that I have gotten when writing lesson plans "Assume they know nothing" and most times you are right on track with the information and content you have planned for them. One setback I experienced is before I took on this class Mrs. Jarema assigned dates in which students had to get up and say the FFA Creed. We discussed that it would be best to keep these dates and just work around it. We had two students volunteer to go first. Other than teaching I helped where I could with the Ag Mech kids who were either metalworking or electrical wiring. 
Wednesday and Thursday: Talk about being flexible! Mrs. Jarema called it when we were hit with some bad weather, Early dismissal on Wednesday and Two hour delay on Thursday. This meant periods were shortened. So in more defined terms, LESS time to teach! Both days were used to finish up students saying the creed, because there is a class of 18 students and they had to recite paragraphs 1-3.  These two days seem to fly by, and therefore set me behind with what I had planned, but then again aren't we as teachers suppose to be flexible? 
Friday: This was a great day, we were back to full periods and now it was time to get into content and back on track with my lessons. I am unfortunately still two days behind where I would want to be with them but I will get them caught up as fast as their learning and understanding will allow. 
Overall, I feel that this week was great. I was able to really start interacting more with my students, now that they are a little more comfortable with me being there. I feel that I am building great relationships with my students and I even got one student to join the FFA and compete in the coming up vet science CDE at Winter Skills Day. Each day I sit down to see what I need to improve on and how I can be a better educator. With the help of Mrs. Jarema's guidance I am continuing to get farther with my dream. I am still continuously helping and aiding where I can to gain as much exposure and experience as I can. Next week I will be adding on another class Ag Business, and will be teaching them about Global Agriculture. I can't wait to see what this next week brings me!

No comments:

Post a Comment