Thursday, September 25, 2014

An "Interesting" Approach

Lab Reflection
In AEE 412's Lab class we were demonstrating the importance of having an interest approach. This is the where you hook your students to become engaged in the content that you are teaching. When I was filling out my lesson plan and deciding what I was going to do, I came across understanding an interesting in my mind interest approach. It was about understanding global competencies and how they can be related all around the world, and with one change in a competency whether it is good or bad can affect the group as a whole. Even though I had a good feeling about the lesson and interest approach, I feel that it could have been better if I would have really known my content. I have realized that I am the kind of person that I need everything to be planned. This could be good or bad, but in the teaching situation it can be bad at times. Especially when you are trying to get these students engaged and staying engaged in the classroom. Also with Global Agriculture being the lesson that I taught this week, I definitely would say that I need to get more information with it and what the students should take away from it. 
This week's lab was definitely better than last weeks, especially in the sense that we knew what it would be like. I am still getting use to being more assertive and how I carry myself to keep that classroom managed. The distractions are a sign that my students need to be more engaged so I am going to have to switch somethings around. Students are there to get an education and that is why I am there but I definitely need to improve on these problem areas. 
Overall my fellow classmates definitely given me some ideas on how to "hook" my students into learning and engaging in the classroom. On another note I need to back my lesson up with confidence. I need to find a way that I can stay confident and just make it happen. It is different teaching infront of your peers than students, but in any way this is why we have lab. 
I feel better than last week with my lesson, so hopefully I am improving but my goal is to be able to knock a lesson plan and teaching the lesson out of the park and really packing it with a punch! I know this is only lab  #3 but I want to make sure that I improve now and not when I am half way through my student teaching! For now lets hope  the week after next I see even more improvement! You can always keep improving!

5 comments:

  1. Good job Rea! I can tell that you are reflecting upon your lab performance and you recognize areas that you feel you can improve upon. Realizing this early on will be beneficial to you! I struggle with confidence issues standing at the front of the room and teaching as well. At least we recognize this issue now and can address it head on. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rea -

    I think it is fantastic that you are acknowledging your stregths and weaknesses and seeking ways to improve. You know why the students are in your class and you want to make things better for them. As far as enhancing your confidence level with the curriculum I would suggest scipting everything out and reading through it. As you teach you can certainly deviate but it is nice to know that your brain already has an idea of where it wants your lesson to go. Keep pushing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that confidence is something that we all struggle with. We are not (and are not expected to be!) perfect in our labs. Their purpose is to give us practice. Like you said, they prepare us and push us to face our strengths and weaknesses now, which is better than half way through our student teaching! I am glad that your lab went better this week, and I truly believe that as the semester goes on, the better we will get at being assertive and confident in the classroom :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Rea!

    Great reflection! I like reading things like "this weeks lab went better than last weeks." This shows growth and improvement. I am glad that we are all able to learn from our mistakes early on and know the areas we need to work on. You sound like you have great motives and know what your outcomes should look like at the end of your lesson, which is great! You will make a great teacher, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rea, I think your lab went very well. During the actual lab, it didn't seem like you were lacking confidence. You seemed pretty comfortable. If you do feel like this is lacking, knowing your content very well may help this a bit. Maybe spending a little extra time planning for the lesson may help you in the long run-especially if you are a person that needs everything planned. Overall, I'm glad you are improving. That's the whole point of this!

    ReplyDelete