Sunday, September 28, 2014

Effective Questions and Languaging in Instruction

Weekly Writing #5

We as pre-service teachers have recognized the importance of questions. By developing questions we are getting a "feel" for what our students know and if they understand what is being taught. It is a great method and comes with great meaning if you ask questions that are effective and constructed properly. We must remember that when we ask questions it is about the student not you. You most likely going to know the answer, but we are the teachers and we need to make sure that our students are understanding the information that is upon them. Also when you are asking the question, give time to the student to answer and explain themselves. I know personally when I am asked a question I need to be allotted that time to explain my answer. Not only does it help me pull parts from my memory to collaborate my answer, but it helps better explain my answer to whoever I may be speaking too. I believe that we as teachers must make sure that we give students this time to get their answers formed. After we have gotten the correct answer it doesn't hurt to check back in with your students to make sure there is an understanding and that they have grasp the concept of what your looking for them to understand. 
I also believe that by asking questions, we can truly see if our students are interested in the information that is being taught and if not, maybe there is a way that we could help make the information be more interesting. We also need to remember that we are trying to have our students develop thinking skills to develop that higher level of thinking learning curve. I want to make sure in my classroom that ALL of my students develop these skills and work towards becoming higher level thinkers. I think that before students understand or progress in their thinking skills, we can test their strengths and weaknesses by using the concept of the higher level of thinking. 
What types of questions would be used to reach this goal of higher level of thinking for your students? Many types of questions are used and applied in the classroom. One type of question that I really would utilize in the classroom is general and directed questions. General questions are used to test the class as a whole and see if the class has a general understanding of what is being taught. However if you use more directed questions you can motivate the student in which you asked the question to be right or show that they have a general comprehension of the teachings.  
One major major aspect of effective questioning that we must remember in any scenario is that we need to back up any answer we get with reinforcement. You do not want your group or individual student to get down on themselves for not being fully correct. I would make sure if this was my case to give positive feedback and try to lead them to the answer in which I am looking for. The importance of effective questioning is to see what learning has occurred. I cannot wait to learn more about this interesting topic in 412 tomorrow!
Links/ Video: Effective Questioning and Techniques 

No comments:

Post a Comment