Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Reflection: First Day of School Lab

Overall this was a great learning experience of what the possible "First Day" could look like when we begin our student teaching journey. I like to plan and with planning comes preparing. This is something that I thought I would be good at with teaching, however I have discovered that I could use some improvement in this area. Being prepared is very crucial when it comes to teaching. It can change a whole lesson and not in a good way! I need to make sure that before I teach I know the content, (especially) what I am going to say, and what I am going to do for the lesson in which I present.
Another part of my teaching that I could work on would be my confidence. I always second guess myself and by now I should realize I need to stop that. This is one area that I need to really improve on because it is also important when teaching. I feel that the most confident teachers even get the worse lessons across and learning still occurs during that class period. Being clear in your instructions is also easier for you as the teacher and the students to understand and process what is needed to be done, expected or said. I lacked clarity when delivering my expectations, procedures, and consequences. Being the "First Day" you as the teacher needs to set the bar and be clear on these essential elements of the classroom. Otherwise kids will be kids and they will take advantage of you and assume the class is a joke. This is the last thing that you want for you students.
I do believe that this experience in lab has given me insight on things that I DEFINITELY need to improve on but also it does give me some experience under my belt in knowing that I am one step closer to becoming an Ag Educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment