Sunday, September 14, 2014

Engaging Instruction

Weekly Reading #3
This week's reading was intended for us as pre-service teachers to understand and implement interest approaches in our classrooms. I find this to be a huge need in the classroom because if you do not "hook" your students into importance of the content that is being learned, the will not be engaged. This will make it harder on you as the teacher to get them back into being engaged. For our summer reading I chose to read the book Teach Like A Pirate, which helped in giving me ideas on how to implement interest approaches in the classroom. I feel that each student needs to know the importance and value of what we are teaching to them, so I would try to use something that will require an emotion out of them. I know that when I was learning about farm animals (pigs, cows, horses, etc.) something that would always get me going is the views of PETA and how they proclaimed that farmers and factories mistreat their animals. Being from a farming background it would always get me going and more eager to learn on how we can help in changing those views by gaining more knowledge in the production area as a whole.
Incorporating some sort of interest approach like that example would help engage students in wanting to do more. I really liked how in the reading they talked about having the students demonstrate a process in which they were not familiar with. Therefore the students would want to learn more on how to do that process and most likely the importance as well. I also enjoyed how you measure the students learning and comprehension by having them explain to you what they have learned. This seems to be one of the greatest ways to measure students learning in my opinion, because like myself if I explain it then I truly understand what was being taught. This will be a great method when teaching Ag Mechanics because to actually know if your students know and understand what you taught them then they should be able to correctly explain it to you. This will also help them when they are doing the hands on part of the lesson on remembering what to do and how to do it safely. 
Agriculture is something that I am very passionate about. As well as passing my knowledge on to younger generations. This is why I chose to go on this journey as becoming an Ag Educator. I feel that if you show your students that you care and your passionate that it will invoke a similar feeling in them so that they are wanting to know more about what your teaching and the importance of it. This is again where you can implement these interest approaches and show that we should care and express the fact that learning is fun!


Links:
I found this article which you should read on why interest approaches are an important potion of your lesson plan, especially in Ag Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment